Wednesday 25 July 2012

CRC GEN XI (carpet knife) build report

Well my first real post will be a review of what I think personally to be a brilliant 12th scale, the CRC.


The first think with this car was the overall appearance of the box. Having owned many 10th scale cars and seeing the quality of the manuals and box's I was rather disappointed with the very bland white box with just a label on the top. Anyway this aside the instructions were rather clear and easy to follow (even for someone like me who really does not like reading at all).


 The allen keys supplied with the kit are of rather poor quality as well. I was warned about this by my fellow club night CRC team mate and therefore I did my best with what I had and really tried to not round of any screws but at the same time make sure there was a tight lock so they wouldn't all just fall out like certain cars I have owned in the past (TC6).


The only part of the car I must say I struggled with was a pair of plastic caps that are part of the front end assembly. It was very tricky to get them to sit right, as you had to make sure they went in tight to hold the front end together but at the same time make sure they were free so that the steering would not bind up and then cause your servo all kinds of troubles. Eventually I settled on having them more to the tighter end of the scale than loose as I thought this was the better option at the time. 


One other thing I was a little miffed at was the way in which the body post stoppers where attached to the posts. A small grub screw is screwed though the stopper and into the post. Now this is a very stable way to attach the stopper but at the same time not very helpful as when you need to make that last minute body shell adjustment due to tyre wear etc or whatever its such a inconvenience having to undo four grub screws just to alter the shell ever so slightly. Surly it would of made more sense just to supply each kit with four body shell pins (like xray do) and then it would make adjustments at more quicker and easier.


All the moan's aside I must say I have never driven 12th before so I cant really gauge the performance of this car to any other experience but this particular car is just so much fun to drive no matter what condition and part you have fitted to it! I did a eight minute run the other night and it just felt amazing. To my surprise though I had completed the run with the and screw missing from the pivot point of the car (a rather key part) and my tyres looked like they had just been painted black due to the severe lack of foam left mounted on the rims. 


All in all I think a brilliant purchase and cant wait to put some more time and money into this car to see how good it can really get going.    

No comments:

Post a Comment