Wednesday 1 August 2012

Fan Mounting Tips

Here was something I happened to stubble across in the pits. I had noticed the one particular driver, (Andy Murray) had spent all morning fiddling with something around his motor area of his car. On first inspection everything looked rather normal. Then I noticed he had mounted his cooling fan for his motor in front of his motor instead of the usual behind the motor. Here is a quick snap of the fan mounted. 



Andy Murray 
Xray T3

I overheard a conversation he was having in the pits and it led me to believe that the theory behind this move was to channel the air flow of the car all in the same direction. By having the fan in the new mounted position the air flow though the car is all the same direction. Not only this but now his speed controller would also benefit from the fan being where it is as the suction of the fan would carry a flow of air of the speed controllers heat shrink. 

Andy also added, 
"It gives a better weight balance in the car.The motor is already heavy on the rear left corner so having a fan even closer to the corner is bad. Although I think the fan is quite important for stock racing so I moved it."

Nice idea and very effective.  

No comments:

Post a Comment